Sunday, August 31, 2008

More XO

Saw something online that said - XO overclocked, so I dusted this crappy piece of equipment. Will make one last ditch effort before trashing it....

first, it runs around me trying to connect to the wireless network. I have to fish out my old post that says use HEX and Open Access for putting in the SSID. Then, I have to get into the router to see what's going on - and the DLink won't let me in - I wonder if I've forgotten the username - but online I find admin is correct - but, this is new - you can use "user" and leave password blank to enjoy in read-only mode. That works.

Back to the XO - you're tired of using that tiny screen - I remember my post that tells me how to get in using cygwin. That works - except, I'm root. I'd rather get in as olpc. Only, it doesn't take my password when I try SSH -X olpc@192.168.0.101 . So, I find something online that says how to be root and change the password - use "passwd username".

Now, as you might know, one of my goals to accomplish before I abandon computers completely is to reach a level of competence with linux and perl where I can quickly leverage the work done by others - use their packages and modules. That's where I'm going with trying to hack this XO thing.

There actually seems to be some worthwhile reading on the OLPC forum:

OLPC Hacks: XO Laptop Spy Camera or Motion DetectorOLPC Help: How to Install Ubuntu on the XO Laptop!
OLPC Help: Replacing the XO Laptop Keyboard
XO Accessories: XO Camera Two Mirror Periscope

The Motion Detection guy uses python to capture and filter images and uses motion detection setting posted by this guy. If it works, this is awesome - why - because, once it's done on the OLPC, it can be easily done on the ASUS thing - and that's something that you buy from a company - as in, it's guaranteed to work - so, now, you're giving people a configurable home security device. This could change the future of crime in a big way. I'm really excited about this.

No comments: